Buena Vista Construction brings West Coast style to local homes

| April 13, 2011
Marcos Mendoza owns Buena Vista Construction.

Marcos Mendoza owns Buena Vista Construction.

The bold yellow doorway of the rehabbed Victorian house at 615 E. Washington St. in Butchertown is merely the first clue that Buena Vista Construction isn’t the typical construction company. Beyond that eye-catching entrance is a hallway floor painted blue to resemble a Mexican creek; the effect is enhanced by a long row of river rocks brought from south of the border.

Buena Vista owner Marcos Mendoza welcomes his clients into an airy office that features the latest 3-D design computers and a glass-topped coffee table made from a 1905 railroad cart.

The son of a Russian mother and a Mexican father who taught water skiing to movie stars, Marcos was born in Canada but raised in Acapulco. He studied international hotel management in Vancouver and managed restaurants in that city before moving to Louisville nine years ago.

Buena Vista Construction“A friend told me that the real estate market here was very good, compared to the West Coast, so I came to fix up houses and sell them, at the rate of about one per month,” he said. “But I had trouble finding reliable contractors: They didn’t return calls, and something always seemed to come up.”

His dissatisfaction inspired him to learn the contractors’ skills and do the work himself. After taking courses and attending seminars, he opened Buena Vista five years ago. Last June, he finished transforming the brick building that houses his business and the yoga studio he created for his wife, Wendy.

That challenge showcased only a few of the tasks that Marcos and his team of about a dozen workers can complete. They also can install a driveway, put on a roof, or construct a house from scratch – and design just about everything that goes into it.

Buena Vista Construction“Our clients like the fact that they don’t have to hire a separate designer for furniture, lighting and other features. Being from the West Coast, we bring a different eye to design – a fresh perspective,” he said. “We are also very ‘green.’ We recycle whatever we can and donate cabinets and other items that can be reused.”

Buena Vista has more than 400 clients and usually tackles two projects per week. Current ones include a $70,000 bathroom remodel for a house in Oxmoor Woods and a boutique hotel in Mexico.

His background in the hospitality industry taught Marcos the value of having employees who are well-groomed, punctual and tidy. Attention to such details has helped his business grow by about 400 percent each year.

Buena Vista Construction“The No. 1 thing for us is that we’re always available to our clients. We e-mail them pictures to say, ‘This is what we’ve done so far.’ If they text me a message at 11 p.m., I answer,” he said. “Fifteen minutes before I walked down the aisle to marry Wendy, I was still talking to my clients. They don’t have to worry or micromanage us. We give them peace of mind.”

For information, visit www.buenavistagrp.com or call 502.648.1797.

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Business Profile

About the Author (Author Profile)

Comments (11)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Lucy says:

My house burned this past February in St. Matthews. We’ve hired Marcos to spearhead its reconstruction. He has been a FANTASTIC visionary who has come up with REALLY cool decor ideas, does what he says he’s going to do, and is always Johnny On The Spot. I can’t wait to see my new home because thanks to Marcos, it’s going to be SERIOUSLY cool!

• Editor says:

Hi Lucy,
      We’re sorry to hear about the fire but glad you went with Marcus, he does amazing work and surely you’ll love it!

We’re always looking for homes to cover in our Home of the Week section. If you’re interested in being featured, let our editor Jacob Glassner jacob@voice-tribune.com know when it’s completed and we would love to feature it!

2. Marcos Mendoza says:

Its actually is a delight to be of service to you and David, I like your vision and we are happy to help in making it a reality!!!

3. Sami Salman says:

I have dealt with Contractors many times in my life. But with the quality, honesty,creativity and integrity that Marcos has delivered I have never experienced before. He delivered what he promised and much more.

4. Corbett lamkin says:

Buena vista construction is definitely the best there is. Marco’s and his team redid my entire kitchen last November. It turned out awesome… From the cabinets down to the awesome hardwood floors.. You can check out pics on BVC Facebook page.. He is currently working on a landscaping project and a new deck for me. If you want a great guy and someone who gives you 110% percent then marco’s is the guy to call. You will be nothing but pleased…

5. Marcos Mendoza says:

Thank you Sami! Enjoy your trip! Thank you Corby !!

6. Pam Vitaz says:

Eye for design is what led me to work with Marcos Mendoza. His team is pleasant to be around and communication is very clear. I will be excited to show my refined exterior, children’s new bath and next summer a kitchen! Clearly the Voice is in on the latest up and comers. Nice article.

7. Jane W says:

I contacted BVC after rave reviews from neighbors. My patio needed help. After looking and talking to various companies, I went with BVC. Basically, one stop shopping. Great ideas and attention to detail. Absolutely the best.Thank you BVC for giving me a beautiful patio entertainment area.

8. Van Val says:

Marcos and crew are the best! Great energy and beautiful designs. I’ve never done a project like this before, but it doesn’t matter because Marcos takes care of everything. BVC listens to what you want, develops the plan to make it happen, and adds their expertise to make it much better than what you had initially envisioned.

9. Raymond S says:

Marcos and his guys did a complete renovation of my bathroom as well as some tweaks to my kitchen last fall/winter. From day one it was clear that Marcos has a passion for his work. He was always prompt from the beginning to the end. I am very happy with my new bathroom! Thanks to Betsy also at River City Bank who referred Marcos to me.

10. Angelyn Rudd says:

So, I tried to hire a craigslist contractor to save a few bucks..He was insured but had no licenses or employees (Or teeth really).. but promised a great job for pennies.. 6 months later, I’m calling Buena Vista Construction to help me out of a horrible disaster as the jerk tore the house up! Lesson learned… Hire licensed, professional, certified and trustworthy companies like BVC…It’s worth it times 10!! Thanks BVC for getting it done, and beautifully… I owe ya..